Sunday, June 28, 2009

Pictures of Hollis Woods: Newbery #1

I chose my Newbery winner based upon the cover art of the novel- it touched me in a poignant way that is rarely explainable. Pictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly Griff was a 2003 Newbery Honor winner. The story of Hollis was indeed as poignant as the book cover promised.

Hollis Woods, named for the place she was abandoned as a baby, is a child whose perspectives have been influenced and skewed by the foster care system in which she has been raised. The fact that every year I have at least three students in the foster care system, makes this book a must read for me- and for any teacher who deals with children placed in this flawed, albeit, sometimes life saving system. This book allows an outsider into the thought process of a child who views the concept of family in a way that those born into one never will.

Hollis's early life is spent moving from family to family until she is placed with the Regan family. What appears to be a perfect fit between child and family is soon destroyed by the perceptions of a child who assumes, misinterprets, and does not understand that families work problems out--they do not run from them. Although Hollis's intentions are admirable-to save a family from her actions-they are misplaced. In fact, the Regan's love Hollis and she is not to blame for the problems with Steven.

So often children misunderstand or misinterpret what adults say- it should be a lesson to all to be very careful when speaking around young children. I remember when my son, who is now 19 years old, was in the fourth grade and I decided to go back to school and get a teaching degree. The conversation in the home had centered around my ability to quit work and return to school. My husband and I knew it would be financially tight-but doable. You can only imagine my shock (embarrassment) when I went to his fourth grade open house and read his self-written profile. Under the heading of "I worry about", my precious child had written "paying our bills" and then displayed his work for all to see!! This reminded me of Hollis and made me want to cry just a little-cry for Hollis and for my child who had worried so unnecessarily at the age of nine.

Hollis leaves the Regans and eventually finds acceptance and love with an elderly woman named Josie. Hollis and Josie share an artistic bent that allows Hollis to begin to become the artist she is meant to become. Unfortunately, Josie begins to show signs of Alzheimer disease which Hollis deals with by becoming invisible. She goes to school, causes no trouble, and tries to stay under the radar of social services. Eventually Hollis decides she and Josie must run in order to remain together as a family. Where she runs to and the discoveries she makes are the climax of this book.

The Pinballs, A Child Called It, Anne of Green Gables, The Great Gilly Hopkins, and Bud, Not Buddy are books that deal with children in foster care situations.

Pictures of Hollis Woods was made into a Hallmark movie in 2007. The film starred Sissy Spacek. I have not seen the film and therefore cannot recommend it at this time.

Patricia Griff also wrote the 1998 Newbery Honor book Lily's Crossing, the Polk Street School series, and Willow Run.





1 comment: